As expected, Formula 1 will return to Istanbul Park next June following the cancellation of the 2021 Canadian GP in Montreal.
The North American event’s scrapping for a second consecutive year was anticipated amid Canada’s tightening of COVID-19 restrictions, and the expectation encouraged Turkey to put itself on the ranks once again as a substitute race.
“Due to the ongoing international travel restrictions in place in Canada it became impossible for Formula 1 to enter the country without a mandatory 14-day quarantine,” said F1 in statement released on Wednesday.
“We are grateful for the efforts of the promoter and the authorities in Canada, Quebec and Montreal in the past few weeks to try and make the race happen.
“We will work with the promoter to ensure those with tickets from 2020 & 2021 races get the options of a refund or to transfer their tickets to next year’s race and look forward to racing in Canada in 2022.”
Last year’s Turkish GP – the first since 2011 – which took place mid-November provided fans with a thrilling round of racing at the challenging Istanbul Park venue, and F1 boss Stefano Domenicali is expecting another exciting race on June 13.
“While it is disappointing we cannot be in Canada this season we are excited to confirm that Turkey will host a Grand Prix in 2021 after an amazing race last season,” said Domenicali.
“I know all our fans are excited by the dramatic start to the season and Turkey is a great circuit that delivers great battles on the track.
“I want to thank the promoter and authorities in Canada for all of their efforts in recent weeks but the travel situation made our plans impossible.
“I equally want to thank the promoter and authorities in Turkey for their ongoing willingness to host a Formula 1 race that shows the huge interest in our sport and the hope from many locations to have a grand prix.
“We have had very good conversations will all the other promoters since the start of the year and continue to work closely with them during this period.”