Countdown to Euro 2020: Daily briefing
The build-up to Euro 2020 continues today, with the rescheduled tournament now just 15 days away. The competition, postponed last summer due to the effects coronavirus, will see Portugal bid to retain the crown they won in France five years ago, while the French will look to make it back-to-back major tournament wins following their World Cup triumph in Russia in 2018.
Both nations are among the many participants to have announced their squads for Euro 2020, with the likes of Germany, 2008 and 2012 champions Spain, and most recently the Netherlands having now shared their squads with the world, too. England coach Gareth Southgate is among the managers to have named a provisional group for the competition, with the former Three Lions midfielder required to cut down his 33-man squad until there are 26 players or fewer remaining. He must do so by Tuesday, which is when he is expected to announce his final squad for the Euros.
One of the reasons Southgate named so many players in his provisional squad was due to the number participating in this week’s European finals. Manchester United came up short against Villarreal on penalties in the Europa League final last night, but the club’s present contingent of England internationals – Luke Shaw, Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood – appeared to make it through the game without sustaining any injuries, while Harry Maguire’s ongoing recovery saw him left on the bench. Greenwood was substituted in extra-time, but seemingly only for tactical reasons, while Rashford looks to have avoided any physical damage but was the victim of racial abuse after the match.
On Saturday, Chelsea take on Man City in the Champions League final, and Southgate will again hope his England players emerge unscathed from that fixture. Follow live updates as the build-up to Euro 2020 continues.
Euro 2020: Spain set for European glory?
Spain duo Pau Torres and Gerard Moreno lifted the Europa League with Villarreal last night after defeating Manchester United.
Can the pair guide Spain to more European glory this summer?
Dylan Terry27 May 2021 11:47
Euro 2020: France job in Zidane’s future after Real exit?
Could the former France international one day manage his national team?
Alex Pattle27 May 2021 11:30
Euro 2020: Southgate on Maguire injury
Gareth Southgate is unsure about Harry Maguire’s injury and will know more once he has returned from Manchester United’s Europa League final defeat to Villarreal.
It presents a major defensive problem for the England boss if he is not fit for Euro 2020.
Earlier this week, Southgate said: “We have got a bit of a shortage of information on a couple of the injuries.
“Understandably, Manchester United have a big game tomorrow so I get why we haven’t been able to access that as easily. I don’t know whether he is fit for tomorrow or in three months’ time. That is where we are with it.”
Dylan Terry27 May 2021 11:11
Euro 2020: Wilshere to leave Bournemouth
One of the biggest “what if?” players in England’s recent history is Jack Wilshere.
Having put in numerous standout performances for Arsenal as a teenager, he seemed destined to be an England captain one day, either anchoring the Three Lions’ midfield or playing more of a creative role.
But injuries have notoriously hampered Wilshere’s career. A move to West Ham didn’t work out, and the 29-year-old’s second spell at Bournemouth is set to come to an end as his contract runs out.
The Cherries were beaten across two legs by Brentford in the Championship play-off semi-finals this month and will remain in the second tier next season.
Could Wilshere return to the Premier League, or is that wishful thinking? The England squad seems even further away for a player who once looked as though he could be his generation’s brightest spark.
Alex Pattle27 May 2021 10:52
Euro 2020: Andy Cole on Aaron Wan-Bissaka
Former England striker Andy Cole believes Aaron Wan-Bissaka has been unfortunate not to receive a call-up to England’s provisional squad.
He told talkSPORT 2: “When anyone gets mentioned regarding the right-back position, they always say they’re not sure about players defensively, especially Alexander-Arnold.
“Wan-Bissaka is the opposite. Defensively, he’s brilliant. Going forward, he doesn’t attack as good as he rest of the boys. But defensively, he’s up there with the best of them.”
Dylan Terry27 May 2021 10:46
Euro 2020: Germany’s 26-man squad
Germany have not won a European Championships since 1996. And we all know where the final was held that year…
Here is their squad for the upcoming edition:
- GK: Manuel Neuer, (Bayern Munich)
- GK: Bernd Leno, (Arsenal)
- GK: Kevin Trapp, (Eintracht Frankfurt)
- DF: Robin Koch, (Leeds)
- DF: Christian Gunter, (Freiburg)
- DF: Mats Hummels, (Borussia Dortmund)
- DF: Antonio Rüdiger, (Chelsea)
- DF: Matthias Ginter, (Borussia Monchengladbach)
- DF: Emre Can, (Borussia Dortmund)
- DF: Niklas Sule, (Bayern Munich)
- DF: Lukas Klostermann, (RB Leipzig)
- DF: Marcel Halstenberg, (RB Leipzig)
- DF: Robin Gosens, (Atalanta)
- MF: Toni Kroos, (Real Madrid)
- MF: Joshua Kimmich, (Bayern Munich)
- MF: Thomas Muller, (Bayern Munich)
- MF: İlkay Gundogan, (Manchester City)
- MF: Leon Goretzka, (Bayern Munich)
- MF: Leroy Sané, (Bayern Munich)
- MF: Kai Havertz, (Chelsea)
- MF: Florian Neuhaus, (Borussia Mönchengladbach)
- MF: Jonas Hofmann, (Borussia Mönchengladbach)
- MF: Jamal Musiala, (Bayern Munich)
- FW: Timo Werner, (Chelsea)
- FW: Serge Gnabry, (Bayern Munich)
- FW: Kevin Volland, (Monaco)
Dylan Terry27 May 2021 10:26
Euro 2020: 15 days and counting
We are just 15 days away from the tournament getting underway. Turkey vs Italy gets us underway on June 11.
Dylan Terry27 May 2021 10:07
Euro 2020: Belgium’s 26-man squad
Here is Belgium’s squad for the tournament:
- GK: Thibaut Courtois (Real Madrid)
- GK: Simon Mignolet (Club Brugge)
- GK: Mats Selz (Strasbourg)
- DF: Jan Vertonghen (Benfica)
- DF: Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham Hotspur)
- DF: Thomas Vermaelen (Vissel Kobe)
- DF: Dedryck Boyata (Hertha Berlin)
- DF: Jason Denayer (Lyon)
- MF: Leander Dendoncker (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
- MF: Timothy Castagne (Leicester City)
- MF: Thomas Meunier (Borussia Dortmund)
- MF: Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City)
- MF: Nacer Chadli (Istanbul Basaksehir)
- MF: Yannick Carrasco (Atletico Madrid)
- MF: Youri Tielemans (Leicester City)
- MF: Thorgan Hazard (Borussia Dortmund)
- MF Axel Witsel (Borussia Dortmund)
- MF: Dennis Praet (Leicester City)
- MF: Hans Vanaken (Club Brugge)
- FW: Dries Mertens (Napoli)
- FW: Romelu Lukaku (Internazionale)
- FW: Christian Benteke (Crystal Palace)
- FW: Michy Batshuayi (Crystal Palace)
- FW: Eden Hazard (Real Madrid)
- FW: Jeremy Doku (Rennes)
- FW: Leandro Trossard (Brighton & Hove Albion)
Dylan Terry27 May 2021 09:43
Euro 2020: Italy keeper Donnarumma leaves AC Milan
The 22-year-old shot-stopper, who has been with the Italian giants since joining as a teenager in 2013, has run his contract down and is now a free agent.
Technical director and AC Milan legend Paolo Maldini officially announced Donnarumma’s exit on Wednesday.
Donnarumma made his competitive debut for Milan aged just 16 and has been ever-present for the seven-time European champions since then.
Alex Pattle27 May 2021 09:42
Euro 2020: France’s 26-man squad
Here is the world champions’ squad for the European Championships. Some team.
- GK: Hugo Lloris, (Tottenham Hotspur)
- GK: Steve Mandanda, (Marseille)
- GK: Mike Maignan, (Lille)
- DF: Raphaël Varane, (Real Madrid)
- DF: Jules Kounde, (Sevilla)
- DF: Lucas Digne, (Everton)
- DF: Benjamin Pavard, (Bayern Munich)
- DF: Lucas Hernandez, (Bayern Munich)
- DF: Presnel Kimpembe, (Paris Saint-Germain)
- DF: Clement Lenglet, (Barcelona)
- DF: Kurt Zouma, (Chelsea)
- DF: Leo Dubois, (Lyon)
- MF: Paul Pogba, (Manchester United)
- MF: Moussa Sissoko, (Tottenham Hotspur)
- MF: N’Golo Kanté, (Chelsea)
- MF: Adrien Rabiot, (Juventus)
- MF: Corentin Tolisso (Bayern Munich)
- FW: Olivier Giroud, (Chelsea)
- FW: Antoine Griezmann, (Barcelona)
- FW: Kylian Mbappé, (Paris Saint-Germain)
- FW: Kingsley Coman, (Bayern Munich)
- FW: Thomas Lemar, (Atletico Madrid)
- FW: Ousmane Dembele, (Barcelona)
- FW: Wissam Ben Yedder, (Monaco)
- FW: Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)
- FW: Marcus Thuram (Borussia Monchengladbach)
Dylan Terry27 May 2021 09:22